Monday, March 30, 2009

Turning 90

Taylor is 5, Great Nana is 90


Couldn't resist the princess cake
She liked to say "Go ride your bike!" as I was curled
up with Nancy Drew books.

Well, my mother turned 90. She lives alone in her apartment, has some help with cleaning and laundry, although she does take some of her laundry down to the second floor and catch up on it at times. Macular degeneration has cut into her ability to do much with food prep, except for warming things in the microwave oven. (She likes to say "I just can't see. I haven't lost my mind, you know!) She knows all about the current political scene, locally and in Washington. But most importantly, she knows all Red Sox trades, pay scales and watches every game where she cheers loudly. I don't think it matters, though, because no one else in the building hears that well and so far there haven't been any complaints about noise.
I guess drinking, swearing and chewing cigars really does ensure a long life. OOPS...that wasn't her recipe...that was someone else. Maybe it's just a case of genetics and taking care of yourselves. Having someone turn 90 brings into your mind a lot of questions: How old do you think you will live? What do you want to accomplish during your life? and... Can I have that corner of the cake with the load of frosting? I guess the recipe is just LIVE and enjoy your life. There aren't many guarantees.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

90!!!

Will we look so put together then?!

She looks amazing.


Teenager gone over the hill