Sunday, March 1, 2009

Chenille Thick & Quick yarn



I tried the Lion Brand yarn Chenille Thick & Quick in antique white last night, after my daughter stocked me up on some yarn that she found at the right price.
Before I began, I researched on Ravelry what people had made with this plush yarn.
Some people have used it to make animals, scarves, shawls, throws, pillows, etc...and I took the direction of someone who described making a scarf with it.
Following her lead, I used size 11 knitting needles.
I ended up casting 11 stitches on the needle, since this yarn is puffy and thick.
I decided to simply use a K1,P1 pattern across the 11 stitches.
As you can see by the end result, it made up quickly (made it last night) into a snug and cozy scarf. It took one skein of the chenille yarn to produce this scarf, including the allowance for fringe. I like to make my scarves long enough to fold in half, wrap around the neck, then tuck the fringed ends through the half-way fold in the length of the scarf. Not only does the scarf stay in place well, but it adds extra comfort and warmth around the front of the neckline.
Now I still have a few more skeins to use up on other projects, so I'll keep scouting knitting sites to see what else works well with this yarn. It's nice to work on something that knits up quickly so that you can use it right away!

No comments: