Saturday, September 18, 2010

Health Through Hands

Well, my neck and shoulder have been killing me all week.  I have spent several nights heating up those bean-bag type scented pads in the microwave and sleeping on them, or walking around the house like a zombie with one perched on my shoulder.
Finally I admitted to myself that I needed someone who could put their hands on my muscles and know where the work needed to be done.
I made an appointment in a neighboring town at a day spa where I used to work.  I very rarely even go into that town anymore.  It just seems like things evolve in your life, and I'm usually headed in the opposite direction.
I headed out yesterday morning for my appointment with Sheila, who happens to still work there and I knew her as a fellow massage therapist back 10-12 years ago when I worked at that location.
I was amazed to turn in the street and see what had been a decaying, old, neglected house nearby, which we could see out the front window years ago.  It was renovated and looked charming, with new-looking landscaping included.  A nice thing to see when you round the corner.
I parked in the ole parking lot, which used to be a part of my life, and felt a little sentimental about it.  I left that job 10 years ago, as I needed to work somewhere that provided insurance at the time.
Much had changed with the interior of the spa.  Different products were offered for sale in the waiting area, with candles and other items all lined up on the shelves.  They walled off part of the reception area, and I remember people entering that area and looking over my shoulder years ago while I was logging appointments in the book.  I like the way it is set up now.
There was Sheila and another therapist, waiting for appointments.  We caught up on old times and compared notes before I entered one of the rooms, which haven't changed too much.  In other words, the same layout exists in the building, but all of the walls were painted differently and everything looked very nice.  The spa is under a different ownership from when I worked there.
Ahhhhh....I soon realized that it has been way too long since I laid down on a massage table, nicely heated, with soft music around and candles glowing gently.
Of course, I know all of the rules.  I shouldn't talk, just relax.  Of course, Sheila and I continued our talking throughout the massage; but it couldn't be helped.  I immediately thought that I should stay on that table all day!
She worked on the adhesions in my upper traps and neck muscles.  It hurt!  There was no way that it couldn't.  Basically, my muscles were knotted into a mess and I gave her the go ahead to work them out as deeply as she had to.  Normally, I prefer a relaxation massage (Swedish) which uses firm pressure, but never really hurts.  She worked and worked and I could have cried!   Not her fault, by the way.  I was already in such pain before I got there, that I knew any work would be painful.  But I bit the bullet and allowed her to do what she needed to do.
Obviously, I need to get more work done before I'll even be considered ready for just a once-in-awhile "maintenance" massage.  Even after I left, I felt like lying down and whimpering.
Then, in the latter part of the day, I began to realize that although sore, I was feeling the effects of the improvements that she had made.
I am promising myself to drink more water, which I certainly know is of great importance, and I will be going back for more work soon.
I had gotten away from the fact that this is so beneficial to a person's body, including range of motion and posture.
Aside from that, what a wonderful, peaceful time to relax and take a little time out of our hectic lives....

No comments: