Monday, April 20, 2009

The Uniblogger is back in the warm house

Taking a walk should be pretty easy, right? I mean, after all, those of us who do walk have probably been walking since we were....oh, I don't know....11 or 12 months old...maybe 13 or 15 months. So, walking really isn't anything to blog about -- or is it?
I headed out to do a couple of miles on my walking routine. Keep in mind that it's APRIL, people.
I got on my new sneakers and wore a Patriots hooded sweatshirt. "Should be sufficient", I told myself.
After about a quarter of a mile, I realized that I had severely underestimated the wind. The wind and the shoes. The wind, the shoes and the lack of string in my hood. Let's cut to the chase right here. The new shoes will NEVER, I repeat NEVER accompany me on another walk. They might be OK in a pinch for around the house...but on my walk? Never again. So, the feet were whining and nagging at me and the wind was so cold and so strong, that I put up my hood. Since I was facing the direction of the wind at this point, the only thing that that did was to give me a "parachute" effect. You know how on those funny car races they pop out a parachute to slow down the racing car? Ok, so where was the string that came with this stupid sweatshirt?
Aha! I remember. After struggling with it several times between the washer and the dryer and feeding it back into the hood through the holes and even double and triple knotting it, I snaked it out of the hood and tossed it. It's amazing how important a little thing like a string can be when you're suffering. A string and a comfortable pair of shoes....oh how we underestimate these things.
So, I made it around the block once and came home and changed into my old, comfortable, worn sneakers. I smiled.
I then reached into my closet and wrapped a scarf around my neck. I didn't really want the Unibomber look; but I then re-wrapped myself with the scarf OVER the hood, to keep it in place and to keep my ears and neck from freezing. Thank God it's April in New England.
So, anyhow there I was, wrapped up and ready to go. I headed right back out there and around the block again, this time smiling about my comfortable sneakers and my newly warmed neck and ears. Years ago, I wouldn't have ventured out and about looking like this. But, alas, age brings with it sensibility and an "I don't care" attitude". A few neighbors said hello as I passed by and as far as I know, no one called the FBI because of my Uniblogger look.
Even if they do, I.DON'T.CARE.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Good for you!!!! You go girl!!!