Saturday, April 5, 2008

An old New England home





We decided to go to the Assonet Inn today for lunch. Haven't been there in a few years. My sources say that the place was built in 1900. It's a big old house with very worn wood floors and booths for customers. I couldn't help thinking that I was sitting in what had been someone's living room long ago. There are two magnificent old fireplaces in the dining rooms. The jukebox sported an "out of order" sign today. They specialize in comfort food, as you can see in the pic. I like to sit in a booth overlooking the porch in the summer and feel the breeze come in, blowing the cotton curtains a little. Very nostalgic. I think that's more important than the menu. However, I've been there on a weekend in the past, and had to stand in line in the old hallway just to get a seat. Today, we were one of two families there; but it was mid-day and I think the crowds arrive at night. Today's special: Shepherd's Pie. I don't know why I brought my camera....I felt like I was working for the Food Network today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous looking place! No wonder it is popular.