Thursday, July 11, 2013

Gardening in Massachusetts

Unfortunately, we have a very short growing season here -- but I do like to put together a little garden each year.  These pics are for Sheila, who made the request from Orlando, FL. --- here ya go!
The pepper plants grew from seeds that I saved while making a salad.  Rather than throw out the seeds I had scooped out from the green and yellow/orange peppers, I dried them out and saved them.

I am waiting on green squash (zucchini) and yellow summer squash.  Some Early Girl tomatoes are getting ready now, and I saw small tomatoes on the other plants, which will ready later.

I will explain my cucumber plants!  I invert the typical tomato cages that you can buy and instead of sticking those long, metal legs into the ground (that never works for me) I just use them upside down to let the cukes grow in and out and way up high.   I have learned from a couple of wild storms, to anchor them down at the bottom with a couple of bricks.  It works out great! 
The cukes aren't all over the ground, and it's easy to see which ones are ready to pick.

Love those tomato and cucumber sandwiches in the summer!

1 comment:

The Irish Poodle said...

Beautiful ! I'm very jealous. Great going on using your own pepper seeds. My herb pots pale in comparison to this!!