Sunday, December 2, 2012

Sick & Well

Yes, that's been the story of my life for the past several months!

During August, I contracted bronchitis.  It seemed like I struggled with that for weeks.
Finally one night I dozed off in my bed, feeling very congested.
I remember that it was extremely muggy that night.
I sat up, realizing that I couldn't breathe.

All I could think of was my uncle, who always had breathing problems, with  asthma.  It's strange, because I only think of him once in awhile; but when I ran into the bathroom and gasped and tried to get some air into my lungs, I thought of how he must have suffered.
I felt that after one big cough when I got up, my throat was totally blocked.

I tried breathing little puffs of air into my nose, mouth.....just kept trying.
Finally I got a little bit of air into me.  I really thought that I was a goner.

My husband took me to the nearby hospital where I received a breathing treatment and steroids and a prescription for an inhaler.

Boy, was I in a mess!
I followed the instructions and then went to see my primary care provider 3 days later.

After scheduling a regular check up later, I had a chance to get stronger and go for my mammogram, lab tests and have a chance to correct some bad eating habits.
I determined that I would take in much more of fruits and veggies and stay away from any snacks, fried foods--anything detrimental.
Well, upon going back for my check up, I had lost 8 pounds, my blood pressure was normal, and I was happy to find that my tests were fine.
I am continuing on with my "healthier eating" plan.    When you reach a certain age, I think you can't get away with as much as far as cheating---cheating on your healthy diet, and cheating death.

It's pretty easy.

No comments: