Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Lucky the cat

We first met Lucky about 7 1/2 years ago.  He was so tiny and we saw him following around our female cat, Angel.
He seemed so little and lost that we thought maybe he was looking for his mother.  He spent years with Angel and he seemed to get along with other neighborhood cats.
But he could not be touched by humans.  I guess he was born in the woods and never adjusted to people.
We could see that he looked small and malnourished and so we decided to at least feed him.
Angel has passed on, but Lucky still comes to see us every day.  Well, actually I think he comes to find out if we are offering any food.
Yes we are.  I guess we've fed him about twice a day these past 7+ years.
He takes up residence in a double cat shelter that I put together out in the back yard.  One shelter is a dog tent and the other one is a molded plastic dog igloo.  Both are filled with fresh hay each Fall and I made sure that no drafts are coming up from the bottom, as they are sitting on a plastic tabletop from an old picnic table.  I also have plenty of plastic and a tarp covering the shelters, which are together.  I made sure the tarp hangs down in front to block snow and rain from coming in to the little houses too much.
Lucky always spends the winters in the shelter.  Most of the time, he chooses the one on the right, but with others visiting and trying to get out of the harsh weather, sometimes he takes up residence in the little house on the left.
Just before these pictures were taken, birds were partaking of Lucky's food, so I threw bread out for them, as it was snowing and they were trying to get a bite to eat before it got any worse. That's why you see the bread next to Lucky.
Here he is looking at Ty, who was also a stray.  Ty stepped inside my house as I was getting the food bowls ready a couple of months ago, and he stayed.
Unfortunately, Lucky will never allow us to touch him.  The closest thing to that is when I put the bowls out and he occasionally sniffs my hand.  We can only watch over him and feed him.
And we have to accept that he will always be a feral cat.

No comments: