Thursday, December 16, 2010

Back to knitting talk

I made this little hat last night for my 2-year-old grandson.  I thought I'd try the rolled brim, which was so simple I wondered why I haven't used it much in the past.
However, I got the pattern online, and the question now is: Will it be the right size...and will he keep it on his head?  LOL
Well, I'll find out today.
I reworked the pattern and just "guessed" at the finished size, so here's what I used:
Size 6 knitting needles
Vanna's Choice baby yarn
4 markers
According to the directions, the rolled brim hat should be long enough to come down low on the forehead.  For a bigger or smaller hat, add or subtract stitches in multiples of 5.
Cast on 80 stitches and work in stockinette stitch (K1 row, P1 row) for approx 6 inches.
On the next row you divide up the stitches as follows: K 16, place a marker and repeat across row, ending with K16.
Purl all even rows.
Decreasing:
Slip one stitch, then knit across until last 2 sts before marker.  Knit those 2 together, then slide marker onto your right hand needle and continue across row.
After about 2 inches of this decreasing, I found that I had to speed up the decreasing before it turned into an elf hat!
After 2 inches, I simply K 2 together across row, purled next row, then continued with decreases in this manner.  When a handful of stitches remained I left a tail of about 8 inches and threaded the yarn through the remaining stitches at the top.
Sew up the back seam.  This is where I put the back seam yarn together with the 8 inch tail yarn.  I then added two more strips of yarn through the top area of the hat so that I had three units of double strands for braiding.  I wanted to add a short braid to finish off the hat, sort of as a little tassle on the top.
I braided those strands, tied a secure knot in the braid, then clipped the ends, making a little tassle.

No comments: