Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Country Doctor


I had a doctor's appointment today, just for a regular check up. This was my first appointment with Dr. R.
When I was given the sheets to fill out by the receptionist and settled into a comfortable chair I noticed a patient talking to others about how long she had waited for her appointment. She mentioned that although she loved this doctor, her boss would never go for the fact that she needed 3 hours off from work to go for an appointment. The others chimed in with how they loved this doctor.
She asked "Are you a new patient?" and I nodded as I filled out the forms. Then she said something like "Oh, you'll see....." Suddenly, her name was called and she went in, ending the discussion of how long the waits are.
I also had my name called shortly and went through the first routine with the medical assistant -- you know, blood pressure and medical history, etc... Then I waited. I looked at a few interesting magazines; but kicked myself for not bringing my knitting with me. Yes, I waited in the exam room for about 45 minutes before the doctor appeared. It was long, but I had plenty of time, therefore, I was not offended.
She sat with me, typing my answers to her questions into her computer, complaining that she had hoped that they wouldn't go all computerized with the medical records until she retired. This surprised me, as she didn't look to me like she was remotely even waving at retirement age.
She was human. The last doctor I had been to, was fast and efficient, who, perhaps had worked on an assembly line in the past.
Dr. R., while typing in all of my different jobs, careers, etc... then stopped and told me about her jobs while she was going through college.
One was putting up sheet rock and doing other manual labor which most women have never mentioned to me before. I was surprised and happy to hear that someone else had survived all sorts of money-making stints on their way to the present time.
She sat there and chatted with me about her husband (a nurse), her access to a flu shot, where he worked (years ago) because she was a family member, etc...as the subject came up. She told me the story of how that year she drove for quite a way (to where her husband worked) to get the shot because they were in demand that year, but convinced them to just give it to her "to go". She then drove another two and a half hours to her elderly father (in his 80s) and administered it to him; because she felt that he needed it more than she did.
I got a flu shot and a pneumonia shot after that.
It was a nice chat. I was well aware of the other patients waiting for her time; but somehow, it didn't bother me. I had waited my turn, and wasn't this really how much time your doctor should spend with you? You may not agree, but in an age when you are rushed in and out of an appointment like a number at the deli counter....I found this refreshing! It made me see something wonderful about this doctor and I will definitely go to her in the future.
I will also, wisely bring my knitting.
P.S. She was ecstatic about my walking club, expounding upon all of the wonderful benefits!

No comments: