Saturday, June 14, 2008

When life hands you bamboo......make STAKES!



My neighbors who live a house lot away have lots of bamboo in their back yard. Why they want to grow that, I don't know. But, in any case.....if you're not familiar with bamboo--there's no stopping it. It's like that old movie, "The Blob". Short of calling in the National Guard, I don't think there's too much of a solution in curbing it's growth and relentless spreading. I could go to bed at night and wake up to new shoots taking over. I cut, pruned, chopped and threw away the bamboo shoots and long stalks that had crept into my yard. As I was cleaning up the area, the lightbulb went on! I clipped some at equal lengths and used them for stakes in my garden. Hey--recycle, reuse and rejoice. They will come in handy to support the tomato plants, once they get going; and I also hooked up a home-made trellis for the green beans. (I even shared them with my other neighbor who lives next door, as he wanted some for his garden.) So, when life hands you lemons....I mean bamboo, USE it!

No comments: