Wednesday, July 17, 2019

ORANGES!

I got out my handy-dandy Tupperware orange peeler and sat down with a great-looking orange. I usually have a navel orange for breakfast, maybe two. I love them, which is great, because my doctor gave me a list of things to consider eating to improve my daily calcium requirement.  

I took the handy-dandy peeler, which is a long, slender plastic gadget which Tupperware has been giving out for decades. One end is flat and narrow, not really sharp; and the other end has that fabulous hook on it which sinks right into the thick peel of the orange and you can trace it down the length of the fruit, making neat lines. When you have finished, you can grasp a piece of the peel near one of the ends, and peel down, sometimes, almost a whole fourth of the peel. 
Mostly, I end up ripping a lot of it free from the fruit with my fingers. I slice and think. I think about that sweet orange. I also think that I'd better not find any seeds this time. That is a big disappointment to me. So, I glide down the length of the fruit, just like drawing vertical paths from the North Pole to the South Pole. 

Then, because I am a picky eater, I attempt to scrape off the ivory-colored residue which seems to cling to the fruit. I know it's not necessary...but that's my regular habit. While doing this morning routine, I felt that something was just "different". However, I continued on, waiting to taste that wonderful fruit. As a matter of fact, I am known for telling people that an orange is the perfect food! Yes, I really do think that. After all, it is something to eat, something to drink, nice juice, it comes in a handy container, and I like the color! What's not to like, right? 

I peeled my orange, started to separate the segments and....and with great disappointment, ate a grapefruit.

No comments: