Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Winter is coming!


It seems that since this blog actually has to do with crafting....I am always working on something; but I sometimes to forget to post what's on my needles. Recently I made a throw to be used in the living room, near the fire, for my son and daughter-in-law. That was a combination of greens, which compliment their living room.
Now, I recently made a throw for my daughter and son-in-law's family room, and I used a blend of neutrals that went with their carpeting and their furniture. I didn't get a pic of the finished product, but here it is in progress.
I decided to just use my various neutrals (using two strands together) and knit across with large needles and only 15 stitches. I figured that these strips could be sewn together later, making a larger throw than can be created on just two needles, that are only so wide.
I used a couple of different textures, too, which I thought would be nice for a change. However, after completing each "strip" I had to lay them out on the floor to measure them up...one against the other.
Sure enough, when it came time to sew the pieces together, I had to undo a couple of the strips and remove several rows in order to keep the strip within the same measurements as the others, simply because they s-t-r-e-t-c-h out because of the patterns that I used. Eventually, I laid them out and decided which pieces I wanted next to the other color and stitch and when I got them all together, I crochet a few rows around the perimeter of the whole thing, which keeps the stretching away and finishes the edges. I put it over a recliner chair at my daughter's house, and the next day I was babysitting. The baby (10 months old) was in my arms and I was rocking him. He discovered the new blanket and grabbed it to himself, rubbing his face into it.
I think that's the "seal of approval"!

No comments: