Sunday, January 11, 2009

It's a cocoon!


I've seen a few pics of these online recently -- baby cocoons, or body socks as they are sometimes called; but lots of knitters are asking for a pattern.
I used size 7 needles, 4 ply yarn and cast on 94 stitches. Using K2, P2 throughout, I made the cocoon about 24 inches long. In the last inch, I decreased by knitting 2 together, purled the next row, then repeated until the last few stitches. Thread a needle through those last stitches and stitch the seam up the back. That's about it. The cocoon is meant to swaddle a newborn and can be used during the first month or so, depending on the size of the infant. You fold it down like a sock, put it around the baby's legs, then roll it up to about the shoulders, tucking in little arms just as you do when swaddling with a blanket. It's warm, stretchy, but snug enough to hold the baby in a cozy position so he feels secure and isn't startled by flailing arms. Supposedly, babies sleep well in their cocoons.
Gee, that looks warm and comfy. Maybe we should make those in adult sizes!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see it in person, especially on that little bundle Xander! It looks awesome. What a cool and cozy idea!

Kammy said...

I have to tell you how strange this is...I did a search for a baby cocoon and found your blog. I was looking at some photos and I see Lori...and then Mark. I went to dental school with Mark :) Tell both of them that Kammy says hello!!