Saturday, August 23, 2008

Wood, wood--go away


Well...here's what we accomplished the other morning. We had a bunch of old wood left over from....I wish I knew...some of it seemed to be old half-rotted 4 by 4s, a few old fence posts, old wood from our former wood-burning stove, etc..and I wanted the yard to be all cleaned up.
We cut and cut for about an hour or so and stacked up the wood for its final destination--the outdoor fireplace. Since the wood just needed to be destroyed, I burned the wood and babysat the fire for about 5 hours while I worked in the yard with other duties. The stack in the above pic shows what was left after about 4 hours of burning.
Part of the time, after wetting down the grass near the blazing fire, I would just sit and watch jets flying over my house, headed to Logan Airport. (Well, not close...maybe they were up 20 or 30 thousand feet) I would see one appear out of the clouds and continue on towards Boston. What I noticed was that one goes over about every 3-4 minutes. Doesn't that seem a little too close for comfort?
Anyhow, I got about one half of the wood burned, and that means I have probably another 5 hours of burning till I am done. But it sure feels great to tidy up the yard when old things have been hanging around for a few years.

No comments: